The purpose of the job is to lead the deployment of the PNE R&D strategy on the site, driving continuous improvement in Quality & Food Safety management systems, compliance to Q&FS and product design standards, and implementation of the site’s product, process and packaging development pipeline. The jobholder leads a team of 5 locally based R&D associates.
What are your key responsibilities as Site R&D and Quality Manager?
- Lead, coach and support a team of Site R&D and Q&FS Associates, ensuring they have the necessary resources, technical skills and competencies to succeed within their roles
- Represent R&D as a key member of the Site Leadership team, supporting the development and implementation of the local site strategy. Develop and deploy a local R&D strategy that is consistent with, and supportive of, the broader site strategy.
- Provide cross-functional leadership to ensure the development of a clear roadmap to full compliance to all global Q&FS standards, collaborating with local and central teams to ensure the necessary resources and capital are secured
- Ensure the integration of Q&FS procedures and processes into manufacturing operating systems
- Lead and facilitate programmes designed to gain/maintain LRQA QMP compliance, and accreditation to selected external Q&FS-related standards
- Be first point of contact for legal authorities for any Mars’ product or packaging-related Q&FS requests
- Deliver the defined product, process and pack development and implementation project pipeline on the site through cross-functional teams within specified processes and timelines
- Identify product, process and packaging cost optimisation opportunities and deliver an agreed pipeline of activities in line with Q&FS and design standards
- Lead the establishment and review of factory and consumer-facing key performance indicators, and the identification/implementation of activities required to drive continuous improvement
- Act as the incident owner for Q&FS incidents on site and lead the implementation of robust corrective and preventative actions
What are we looking for?
- University degree level qualification in a relevant technical or scientific discipline (Food Science/Technology, Biological, Chemical, Engineering sciences)
- At least 5 years’ experience in a technical function within an FMCG environment
- Experience in leading and managing projects in an FMCG environment
- Minimum 3 years line management/supervisory experience or a proven track record in coaching and developing teams and individuals
- Knowledge of Quality & Food Safety management systems and standards
- Knowledge of the technologies, processes, formulations and raw materials used in the manufacture of food products
- Excellent communication skills
- Good command of the English language
- Fluent in German
What can you expect from Mars?
- Work with over 130,000 like-minded and talented Associates, all guided by The Five Principles.
- Join a purpose driven company, where we’re striving to build the world we want tomorrow, today.
- Best-in-class learning and development support from day one, including access to our in-house Mars University.
- An industry competitive salary and benefits package, including company bonus.
Mars is a family-owned business with more than $35 billion in global sales. We produce some of the world’s best-loved brands: M&M’s®, SNICKERS®, TWIX®, MILKY WAY®, DOVE®, PEDIGREE®, ROYAL CANIN®, WHISKAS®, EXTRA®, ORBIT®, 5™, SKITTLES®, UNCLE BEN’S®, and COCOAVIA®. Alongside our consumer brands, we proudly take care of half of the world’s pets through our nutrition, health and services businesses such as Banfield Pet Hospitals™, BluePearl®, Linnaeus, AniCura, VCA™ and Pet Partners™. Headquartered in McLean, VA, Mars operates in more than 80 countries. The Mars Five Principles – Quality, Responsibility, Mutuality, Efficiency and Freedom – inspire our 125,000 Associates into taking action every day towards creating the world we want tomorrow.
Are you interested in learning more about the trends and innovations in the industries we work for, check our blogs to be completely up to date, or follow us on Linkedin, Xing Twitter, Facebook & Instagram!