The purpose of the job is to lead the deployment of the PNE R&D strategy on the site, driving continuous improvement in Quality & Food Safety management systems, compliance to Q&FS and product design standards, and implementation of the site’s product, process and packaging development pipeline. The jobholder leads a team of 5 locally based R&D associates.
What are your key responsibilities?
- Lead, coach and support a team of Site R&D Associates, ensuring they have the necessary resources, technical skills and competencies to succeed within their roles
- Represent R&D as a key member of the Site Leadership team, supporting the development and implementation of the local site strategy. Develop and deploy a local R&D strategy that is consistent with, and supportive of, the broader site strategy.
- Provide cross-functional leadership to ensure the development of a clear roadmap to full compliance to all global Q&FS standards, collaborating with local and central teams to ensure the necessary resources and capital are secured
- Ensure the integration of Q&FS procedures and processes into manufacturing operating systems
- Lead and facilitate programmes designed to gain/maintain LRQA QMP compliance, and accreditation to selected external Q&FS-related standards
- Be first point of contact for legal authorities for any Mars’ product or packaging-related Q&FS requests
- Deliver the defined product, process and pack development and implementation project pipeline on the site through cross-functional teams within specified processes and timelines
- Identify product, process and packaging cost optimisation opportunities and deliver an agreed pipeline of activities in line with Q&FS and design standards
- Lead the establishment and review of factory and consumer-facing key performance indicators, and the identification/implementation of activities required to drive continuous improvement
- Act as the incident owner for Q&FS incidents on site and lead the implementation of robust corrective and preventative actions
What are we looking for?
- University degree level qualification in a relevant technical or scientific discipline (Food Science/Technology, Biological, Chemical, Engineering sciences)
- At least 5 years’ experience in a technical function within an FMCG environment
- Experience in leading and managing projects in an FMCG environment
- Minimum 3 years line management/supervisory experience or a proven track record in coaching and developing teams and individuals
- Knowledge of Quality & Food Safety management systems and standards
- Knowledge of the technologies, processes, formulations and raw materials used in the manufacture of food products
- Excellent communication skills
- Good command of the English language
- Fluent in German
What can you expect from Mars?
- Work with over 130,000 like-minded and talented Associates, all guided by The Five Principles.
- Join a purpose driven company, where we’re striving to build the world we want tomorrow, today.
- Best-in-class learning and development support from day one, including access to our in-house Mars University.
- An industry competitive salary and benefits package, including company bonus.
Mars is a family-owned business with more than $35 billion in global sales. We produce some of the world’s best-loved brands: M&M’s®, SNICKERS®, TWIX®, MILKY WAY®, DOVE®, PEDIGREE®, ROYAL CANIN®, WHISKAS®, EXTRA®, ORBIT®, 5™, SKITTLES®, UNCLE BEN’S®, and COCOAVIA®. Alongside our consumer brands, we proudly take care of half of the world’s pets through our nutrition, health and services businesses such as Banfield Pet Hospitals™, BluePearl®, Linnaeus, AniCura, VCA™ and Pet Partners™. Headquartered in McLean, VA, Mars operates in more than 80 countries. The Mars Five Principles – Quality, Responsibility, Mutuality, Efficiency and Freedom – inspire our 125,000 Associates into taking action every day towards creating the world we want tomorrow.