Job Title: Senior Scientist - Fermentation (Yeast) Expert m/f
About our Global Technology & Innovation Centre.
Naas (near Dublin) is home to Kerry EMEA’s Global Technology & Innovation Centre. This state of the art facility has been designed to bring together all our capabilities and technologies in one location. The Centre offers our customers a truly unique relationship experience, working closely with our industry experts in the optimum environment allows them to see firsthand the technologies, innovation and value that we can offer them and their business. This in turn allows customers to develop the unique and innovative products they want, that can be delivered quickly to market and can differentiate their brand in the market place. The Centre facilitates our customers and employees expertise in a way that makes it easy to collaborate and deliver innovative, integrated solutions.
Description and Responsibilities:
Kerry is one of the world’s main producers of yeast & extracts. Our manufacturing facility located in Scotland employs some of the most advanced technology and processing techniques in the industry.
Our research, development & applications (RD&A) team of biochemists and scientists actively work on research projects related to yeast propagation, extraction & autolysis, and developing processes to aid with this. Our team of applications scientists focus on applying yeast & yeast extract in customer applications to enhance the taste & function of many common FMCGs.
Key responsibilities will include:
- Development of yeast propagation processes at lab- and pilot-scale with the aim of optimizing both biomass yield and quality.
- Achieve and maintain a deep insight into a broad spectrum of yeast and non-yeast fermentation technologies related to the Kerry business.
- Work with different disciplines within the yeast extract business facilitating business growth through enhanced / innovative product creation.
- Interaction with scientists / professionals across Kerry’s global business to learn from / impart expertise to others all the while advancing Kerry’s scientific goals.
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications and skills
- MSc or preferably a PhD in biochemistry / Microbiology / yeast genetics or related discipline.
- Ideally have 5+ years of industry experience in a similar role.
- Strong knowledge and experience in strain selection and growth and how to optimize strain growth to provide desired taste and/or function in the final product.
- Ability to trouble shoot issues involving yeast growth by using scientific knowledge and experience coupled with pragmatism for industrial settings.
- Be a naturally inquisitive person, who is willing to challenge long held beliefs norms.
- Be open to learning, gaining experience from & imparting knowledge to colleagues.
- Must be willing and able to travel across Europe and globally as required.
- Fluent English and another European language would be advantageous
Kerry Group today is a world leader in Taste & Nutrition serving the food, beverage and pharmaceutical industries and a leading consumer foods processing and marketing organisation in selected EU markets. With sales to over 140 countries worldwide, the Kerry organisation has grown to become a highly successful public company, having achieved sustained profitable growth with current annualised sales in excess of €5.8 billion. Launched as a public company in 1986, the market capitalisation of the Group has grown to a current level of approximately €12 billion. Kerry Group now employs over 24,000 people throughout its worldwide activities and operations.
We supply over 15,000 food, food ingredients and flavour products to customers in more than 140 countries worldwide. Kerry prides itself on continuous innovation, technological creativity and business excellence in every area of the business, striving to enhance leadership positions in our consumer foods business and across global food and ingredients markets.