grapefruteglobe Nomad Foods
Job Title: Senior Product Development Manager - Alternative Proteins
The Senior Product Development Manager role is a key role which demands experience and a strong track record in steering a team to deliver the innovation, renovation and cost saving program. Work-related travel to different sites and Bedfont is key to the success of this role. The Senior PDM can work from Bedfont UK, Reken in Germany or Valladolid in Spain.
- Strong consumer understanding and technical delivery.
- Strategic awareness and influence.
- A passionate food enthusiast with broad understanding of international cuisines
- Strong external network in the area of proteins.
- Formulate R&D Strategy regarding the alternative protein MWB. Bring the outside in and upskill Nomad Foods in this area from a technical point of view.
- Ensure appropriate R&D input to facilitate business decisions, effective portfolio management and project delivery (e.g. Stage Gate Process, Risk assessment).
- Project manage and leads teams through technical aspects of major launches / larger business scale projects
- Be knowledgeable regarding key ingredients, in particular with alternative proteins and their functionality. Bring understanding of supply chains & manufacturing processes and deliver basic training to the rest of the business on this key area.
- Be knowledgeable regarding Consumer Habits, Practices, Usage, Needs and Preference Drivers within alternative proteins to support the delivery of superiority through product design.
- Be knowledgeable regarding diet and nutrition within the alternative protein category and markets and act as an ambassador of the Company Nutrition Policy.
- Predict and react to the cost / value equation – understand and be able to challenge the P&L to a level which enables appropriate actions to be taken.
- Identify and champion technology development leading to competitor advantage and margin enhancement.
- Monitor competitor activity and propose routes to maintain competitive advantage.
- Identify & develop opportunities for new product claims, PR, advertising and trade/consumer stories.
- Create a business case for, track and communicate project expenditure vs. an agreed budget.
- Effectively coach, mentor, develop and line manage a team of product developers.
- Embrace company values, drive culture change, promote positive challenge, build R&D capability (skills, competencies & process), address performance issues and develop key talent within team.
- Develop & deliver a strong innovation plan and strategy to win in the alternative protein frozen category across Europe.
- Combine technical experience, business capability and consumer trends, to drive growth and margin based on a detailed understanding of the consumer critical success factors.
- Be the owner in R&D of brand equity, responsible for delivering strategy and keeping consumer relevance at the forefront of product design.
- Ensure projects are professionally managed, resources are deployed and budget is allocated, to ensure successful and timely delivery, from idea through to launch. Manage any impact of changes to the plans accordingly.
- Build and maintain a strong working relationship with Centralised and local Marketing functions. (Including the maximising roll out opportunities).
- Build and maintain strong relationships with the Supply Chain leveraging capability to deliver winning innovation and creative problem solving.
- Ensure all products in range are safe, profitable, competitive, legal and meet brand requirements and challenges others to do so.
- Understand how our existing products perform. Work with the sensory team to ensure consumer data provides direction for product guidance.
- Lead and promote ways of working that ensures competent technical input is provided to support product claims, PR, advertising, trade, consumer or any other business requests.
- Develop and lead product quality management programmes with Supply Chain partners to deliver the Quality expected by the Consumer and Customer
- Develop talent within the organisation. Have CDP in place for all key talents.
- Relevant Science Degree – e.g. Food Science, Food technology, Food Chemistry, Biotechnology.
- Track record of successful innovation within non-meat protein category
- Extensive external network of suppliers across Europe.
- Track record of managing pan-European teams and people development.
- Proficient in English language.
- Extensive knowledge of the functionality and sourcing of non-meat proteins.
- Food raw material and process science.
- Product design and development (advanced).
- Understanding of consumer and customer requirements
- Nutrition understanding (advanced).
- Innovation tools e.g. insight gathering, Consumer moderation.
- Concept writing, evaluation, filtering (basic understanding).
- Sensory and consumer testing – qual. and quant. (working knowledge)
- Project Management.
- Commercial awareness & financial awareness.
- Local and European Food Product and labelling regulations understanding
- Specification systems.
- Budget Management.
- People Management and proven development of others.
- Experience with frozen food is an advantage.
- English – other languages are an advantage; e.g. Spanish, German and/or Italian language skills
Nomad Foods Europe is a market leading frozen food company with a rich heritage and iconic brands which have stood the test of time.
Headquartered in the UK, we employ 3,800 people in 17 countries, with 9 factories. This gives us the scale, the talent and the opportunities to achieve our ambitions.
Nomad Foods Europe is owned by Nomad Foods, a US listed company, whose goal is to build a global portfolio of best in class food companies and brands within the frozen category and across the broader food sector.
Our portfolio of market leading brands includes Birds Eye, iglo and Findus which are synonymous with frozen food and offer consumers great tasting, easy-to-prepare food that is nutritious and good value.
We market and distribute our brands, which also include Lutosa and La Cocinera, in 17 countries across Europe. We have Number 1 positions in ten countries – UK, France, Sweden, Germany, Italy, Austria, Belgium, Portugal, Hungary and Spain – and our products are also enjoyed in Ireland, the Netherlands, Norway, Finland, Denmark, Greece and Switzerland.
Nomad Foods Europe was created with the acquisitions of Iglo Group and the continental businesses of Findus Group and both companies have a rich history, stretching back to the early days of frozen food. Birds Eye, iglo and Findus were pioneer brands back in the 1940s and 1950s and created the frozen food category that we have today.
At Nomad Foods Europe we have a passion for food, a belief in our brands and a real desire to reinvigorate frozen food across Europe. Everything we do is underpinned by Forever Food Together, our European-wide sustainability initiative which aims at providing our customers with tasty, nutritious dishes and tackling food waste through sustainable food products. Find out more about our approach to sustainability