Iglo / Nomad Foods Europe
Job Title: Senior Product Development Manager Fish Division m/f *WE HAVE FILLED THIS ROLE*
The Senior Product Development Manager role is a leadership role which demands experience and a strong track record in steering a team to deliver the innovation, renovation and cost saving program. Work-related travel to different sites and Bedfont is key to the success of this role.
- Strong consumer understanding and technical delivery.
- Inspirational leadership and people development capability.
- Strategic awareness and influence.
A passionate food enthusiast with broad understanding of international cuisines.
- Formulate R&D Strategy & allocate R&D resource appropriately and effectively.
- Ensure appropriate R&D input to facilitate business decisions, effective portfolio management & project delivery (eg Stage Gate Process, Risk assessment).
- Project manage and leads teams through technical aspects of major launches / larger business scale projects.
- Be knowledgeable re key ingredients, supply chains & manufacturing processes and deliver basic training.
- Be knowledgeable re Consumer Habits, Practices, Usage, Needs & Preference Drivers within the category to support the delivery of superiority through product design.
- Be knowledgeable re diet & nutrition within the relevant category & markets and act as an ambassador of the company Nutrition Policy.
- Predict and react to the cost / value equation – understand and be able to challenge the P&L to a level which enables appropriate actions to be taken.
- Identify and champion technology development leading to competitor advantage and margin enhancement.
- Monitor competitor activity and propose routes to maintain competitive advantage.
- Identify & develop opportunities for new product claims, PR, advertising & trade/consumer stories.
- Create a business case for, track & communicate project expenditure vs. an agreed budget.
- Effectively coach, mentor, develop and line manage a team of product developers.
Embrace company values, drive culture change, promote positive challenge, build R&D capability (skills, competencies & process), address performance issues and develop key talent within team.
- Be the owner in R&D of brand equity, responsible for delivering strategy and keeping consumer relevance at the forefront of product design.
- Ensure projects are professionally managed, resources are deployed and budget is allocated, to ensure successful and timely delivery, from idea through to launch. Manage any impact of changes to the plans accordingly.
- Build and maintain a strong working relationship with Centralised and local Marketing functions. (Including the maximising roll out opportunities).
- Build and maintain strong relationships with the Supply Chain leveraging capability to deliver winning innovation and creative problem solving.
- Ensure all products in range are safe, profitable, competitive, legal and meet brand requirements and challenges others to do so.
- Understand how our core SKUs perform. Work with the sensory team to ensure consumer data provides direction for product guidance.
- Lead and promote ways of working that ensures competent technical input is provided to support product claims, PR, advertising, trade, consumer or any other business requests.
- Develop & deliver a strong innovation plan, combining technical experience, business capability and consumer trends, to drive growth and margin based on a detailed understanding of the consumer critical success factors.
- Develop and lead product quality management programmes with Supply Chain partners to deliver the Quality expected by the consumer and customer.
- Where appropriate be the R&D site lead – cascade information from the LT to the R&D teams on site, promote PACE behaviours, foster team spirit, ensure facilities are safe working environments.
- Develop talent within the organisation. Have CDP in place for all key talents.
Essential knowledge & skills
- Food raw material & process science.
- Product design & development (advanced).
- Understanding of consumer & customer requirements.
- Nutrition understanding (advanced).
- Innovation tools e.g. insight gathering, consumer moderation, concept writing, evaluation, filtering (basic understanding).
- Sensory & consumer testing – qual & quant (working knowledge).
- Project management –advanced.
- Commercial awareness –advanced.
- Financial awareness –advanced.
- Local & European Food Product & labelling regulations understanding.
- Specification systems.
- Budget Management.
- People management and proven development of others.
Building knowledge to win
- Meeting Business Needs – lead teams to implement plans to tackle commercial challenges and deliver the financial targets across a category portfolio
- Creative Mindset – lead teams through work programs that create opportunities on a European scale by creating an environment where best in class ways of working and creativity can flourish.
Developing successful innovation
- Project Management and Delivery – deploy resources and budget against opportunities for category including managing impact of changes to plans
- Best practise implementation – proactively seek opportunities to deliver more effective use of R&D resources through improved processes and systems
Delivering our portfolio
- Commercialising product and pack designs – identify and champion programs to deliver commercial solutions to financial challenges across our portfolio without sacrificing product and pack quality
- Applying insight for advantage – can connect directly with consumers to identify insight and opportunities that can translate to competitive advantage for NFE
Delivering R&D capability
- Science of food – transfer knowledge of current and new materials between projects and categories
- Leverage manufacturing capability – challenge current processes and factory capability to set new standards for delivering quality and apply technologies in new ways to deliver successful product launches
- Ability to energise others with ideas and improvements for change to ensure change happens with speed and agility
Impact & Influence
- Proactively work with colleagues to develop solutions to their issues across teams / functions and countries.
Qualifications & Experience
- Relevant Science Degree – e.g., Food Science.
- Proficient in English language.
- Track record of managing pan-European teams and people development.
- Track record of successful innovation within food.
Desirable but not essential
- German & / or Italian language skills.
- Experience with frozen food.
Nomad Foods is a leading frozen foods company. With our anchor investment in Iglo Group completed in June 2015, we intend to continue supporting Iglo’s organic growth initiatives as well as pursue strategic acquisitions to build a portfolio of best-in-class food companies and brands within existing and new categories. Iglo is the ideal foundation to execute a build-up strategy across the packaged foods sector.
Our Ambition for Nomad Foods:
- Build a world-class global consumer foods company
- Invest in leading food companies with proven track records and strong management teams
- Support organic growth and strengthen our market leadership in each of our geographies and categories
Our acquisition criteria:
- Market leader in a niche market
- Protective moats around the business
- Experienced management teams
- Strong free cash flow characteristics
- Diversified customer and supplier base