Job Title: RD&A Senior Scientist – Bakestable and low aw fillings technology m/f
The RD&A Senior Scientist plays a key role in the development of new product innovations within the Wet & Sweet RD&A team.
Manages and delivers key customer development projects. Supports RD&A with product development insights, analytical and application expertise.
Takes on a key role in the management of strategic research projects. Provides technical direction to other Wet & Sweet RD&A team members.
Key Responsibilities will include:
- Conducts detailed research for the improvement of existing jam, water based bake stable and low water activity, icing products and the timely development of new products, manufacturing procedures and specifications.
- Ensures that ingredient functionality will meet customer expectations.
- Oversees projects from customer or internal brief through to hand over to production staff in the factory.
- Understands key commercial requirements of the jam, bake stable and low water activity fillings industry.
- Implements industry recognised methods and standards.
- Keeps up to date on key scientific developments and best practice requirements.
- Develops and refines analytical methodology as required.
- Provides insights into consumer trends.
- Maintains laboratory/pilot equipment and supplies.
- Works closely with other functions such as the Operations, Sales, Marketing and Application, Sensory, Supply Chain and Regulatory teams to develop integrated and innovative solutions and also to resolve problems.
- Works closely with internal and external customers and suppliers to develop innovative solutions and resolve technical problems.
- Develops robust recipes, processes and application stability through a thorough understanding of food product design and the fundamental chemical interactions occurring in food products.
- Interacts and troubleshoots with customers on key developments and applications leading to the formation of strong technical relationships with peers at key accounts.
- Trains and tutors less experienced team members to independently run projects themselves. Provides every day guidance and input.
- Assists Customers/Sales with any technical issues that may arise
- Participates in designated R,D&A projects and ensures appropriate documentation of experimental trials and outcomes to facilitate scale up and product transfer to manufacturing
- Ensures that good laboratory practices and lab protocols are being utilised.
- Documents all research notes in computer databases and records and disseminates key learnings.
- Manages Key projects through Salesforce.com
- Builds scientific knowledge through interactions with other R,D&A managers and Directors and by regular literature reviews, regulatory monitoring, and application studies. Reviews scientific literature to guide thinking on specific projects.
- Establishes strong relationships with selected academic researchers and Universities to further develop scientific/application knowledge and pilot plant capabilities.
- Leverages relationships to identify potential new hires and/or resources that may be valuable to the company.
- Attends trade shows, conferences, scientific meetings as necessary.
- Give competent presentations to inform customers, the sales team and industry contact.
- Minimum of BSc in Food Science, Food Technology or related subject.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in food industry, water based bake stable and low water activity fillings, jams, icings research and development.
- Experience in process technology with particular emphasis on fruit based fillings and jams, icings for bakery applications.
- Ideally experience of bakery applications processes such as co-extrusion/extrusion, injection, coating, depositing.
- In depth knowledge of compound chemical and physical properties, especially sugars/sweeteners, polyols, texturants.
- In depth knowledge of the bakery and/or confectionery market in Europe is beneficial.
- Good Commercial awareness and Market focus
- Excellent Communication Skills and Knowledge sharing ability.
- Technical and Functional Expertise in water based bake stable and low water activity fillings, jams, icings and related application processes
- Excellent Innovation and Creative skills to develop and create competitive advantage for Kerry
- Drive and Determination to overcome challenges and develop timely solutions
- Some travel required approx. 20% UK/Europe.
About our Global Technology & Innovation Centre
This role will be located at our state of the art Global Technology & Innovation Centre in Naas (which is 40 mins south of Dublin Airport). This facility has been designed to bring together all our capabilities and technologies in one location.
The Centre offers our customers a truly unique relationship experience, working closely with our industry experts in the optimum environment allows them to see first hand the technologies, innovation and value that we can offer them and their business. This in turn allows customers to develop the unique and innovative products they want, that can be delivered quickly to market and can differentiate their brand in the market place. The Centre facilitates our customers and employees expertise in a way that makes it easy to collaborate and deliver innovative, integrated solutions.
Kerry Group today is a world leader in Taste & Nutrition serving the food, beverage and pharmaceutical industries and a leading consumer foods processing and marketing organisation in selected EU markets. With sales to over 140 countries worldwide, the Kerry organisation has grown to become a highly successful public company, having achieved sustained profitable growth with current annualised sales in excess of €5.8 billion. Launched as a public company in 1986, the market capitalisation of the Group has grown to a current level of approximately €12 billion. Kerry Group now employs over 24,000 people throughout its worldwide activities and operations.
We supply over 15,000 food, food ingredients and flavour products to customers in more than 140 countries worldwide. Kerry prides itself on continuous innovation, technological creativity and business excellence in every area of the business, striving to enhance leadership positions in our consumer foods business and across global food and ingredients markets.
We are looking for people with ambition, vision and a commitment to excellence in a dynamic business environment to achieve and sustain this growth on a long-term basis. In return we offer stimulating and rewarding careers from employee to management to leadership levels in a global food organisation.