Job Title: R&D Manager Applications Chocolate / Bakery / Sugar Confectionery
The Applications Cluster R&D manager provides leadership to a key application category cluster in EMEA in alignment with the Bizz Groups strategy, Cargill Commercial Excellence and Cargill shared R&D Leadership through maximizing portfolio value, customer focus and innovation, internal and external connectivity and excellent talent management.
The position manages and inspires a diverse expert team (Application specialist to principal Application Scientist) in different key application categories (Sugar- and Chocolate- confectionery, Bakery & Cereals) in clusters to provide the best technology transfer and to inspire the team to come with the best pro-active and creative ideas, answering the Jobs to be Done of our key customer, enabled by profound project management
- Organization and People management
- You bring Leadership in the team and cross the categories, directing to the Applications Center’s GPS goals
- You build a powerful motivated, flexible and engaged team (5-10 people: from professional to advisor level) with the right culture and behaviour, open to work with other R&D groups (internal/external) with focus to help our customers thrive
- You will bring open communication with the Application teams and between other R&D departments and Bizz groups
- You are an active and engaged member of the Applications Shared Capabilities Leadership team: Interacts and communicate closely & efficient with team-colleague Apps cluster managers to get to common targeted approaches and best practices in the teams: ONE leadership team
Business & Customer leadership: Application Portfolio Management and Value Creation
- You will provide transparency/complete view and lead business discussion in order to create business ownership
- You will ensure the partnership with the Bizz in order to guarantee business case, prioritization and ownership
- You will create, add and maintain the Application team scorecard
- You are accountable for the deliverables in terms of value creation to the Business Groups/Cargill product lines, customers in terms of financial and image benefits (actual, innovation image, customer partner of choice)
- You will represent the Application Centre to key customer interactions
- You will lead big & complex customer and application projects, requests and related customer visits
- You will promote and support the introduction of new products and applications in the Category industry team.
- Interpret market trends to identify new application and product needs and share knowledge/info with other regions on demand
- You will travel to visit customers, give presentations, to create new opportunities and sustain follow up
- You will lead key & complex projects in the application Centre
- You will ensure resource allocation across projects through prioritization in alignment with the Business Units. Guarantee we have the right expertise and external sourcing in order to complete successfully the projects
Technology Leadership and Expertise
- You will maintain and build relevant and capable application centers to allow close and effective working relationships with customers and Bizz group teams.
- You will have result-driven KPIs
- You will be responsible for operational budget and regional capital investment execution
- You will champion and leverage application technical expertise on existing/emerging opportunities to Cargill product lines on food and beyond food application
- You will lead or give input on application related production line architectures
- You will lead and organize training and exhibitions: You will give seminars and lectures for internal and external customers
- You have a Master’s degree in food science /Technology or equivalent by experience
- You are fluent in 2 or 3 European languages including English
- You have 10+ years of Food (ingredients) industry experience
- You have extensive food technology expertise, experience and network in targeted applications cluster: Chocolate confectionery (Chocolate, cocoa, compounds & fillings), Bakery & sugar confectionery
- You are a strong people manager
- You will demonstrable leadership, strategic capabilities and management experience in a technical organization.
- You have technical expertise in relevant B2B Food industry covering ingredients such as chocolate, compounds & fillings, cocoa powders, starches, sweeteners, proteins, hydrocolloids, functional systems, fats & oils, emulsifiers, fibres…
- You have the ability to manage complex teams in a complex Matrix organization (strong experts, different experiences, different categories, emerging technologies)
- You have experience at building competitive advantage through the use of the organization’s technical capabilities, and by providing product innovation and other creative solutions.
- You have proven practical experience on how to get things done within a matrix organization.
- Good tolerance of ambiguity combined with an active approach to problem- solving.
Cargill provides food, agriculture, financial and industrial products and services to the world. Together with farmers, customers, governments and communities, we help people thrive by applying our insights and over 150 years of experience. We have 155,000 employees in 70 countries who are committed to feeding the world in a responsible way, reducing environmental impact and improving the communities where we live and work.
Cargill is a unique place to grow your career, your experience and your abilities. Every day, we grow our reputation as a leading international producer of food, agricultural, financial and industrial products and services. We take pride in our global reach, ability to contribute, and strong work ethics and values. Through innovation, creativity and teamwork, we are transforming entire markets and people’s lives worldwide, and we can have the same impact on your career.