grapefruteglobe Iglo - Nomad Food Group
Job Title: Junior R&D Food Technologist Specifications m/f
This role is a significant role in the organisation which requires knowledge of product development and food specifications. This role reports to the Senior Product Development Manager.
A passion for food is essential as is an element of work-related travel (e.g., to copackers, other Nomad sites, suppliers etc).
- Good knowledge of key ingredients, supply chains & manufacturing processes through regular contact with suppliers, procurement & SUs.
- Awareness of consumer habits, practices, usage, needs & preference drivers within the allocated product area.
- Identify & develop new products/technologies based on an awareness of the consumer & of the business requirements & capabilities.
- Apply our knowledge of preference drivers in product development work.
- Understand the cost / value equation & apply it in product design – which attributes do consumers really value and want to pay for and which they do not value.
- Ensure the nutritional profile is given a high priority when designing new products or renovating existing ones, highlighting issues and opportunities and ensuring products met the nutrition KPIs. Act as an ambassador of the company nutrition policy.
- Build & maintain strong relationships with colleagues in R&D & other functions (MU’s, SU’s, TQS, Procurement & the Category Marketing).
- Technical project management of straightforward NPD & EPD projects (eg a new variant) in accordance with the agreed procedures to ensure successful and timely delivery of the projects.
- Encourage cross-fertilization of knowledge with colleagues in R&D.
- Provide technical input to support product claims, PR, advertising & trade/consumer enquiries.
- Maintain a constant awareness of competitor activity, regularly review competitor products & propose routes for maintaining competitive advantage.
- Provide R&D input to project gate documents.
- Proactive & timely communication of opportunities, progress, issues, risks etc to R&D management & key stakeholders.
- Embrace company values and culture change (eg PACE, R&D DNA) and drive self-development.
- Support professionally managed projects in accordance with agreed procedures to ensure successful and timely delivery of the projects, from idea through to launch.
- Represent R&D within cross-functional teams to deliver range extensions, renovations, innovations and cost savings.
- Ensure support in order to ensure all products in the allocated product area are profitable, competitive, legal & meet brand requirements.
- Provide all specifications (raw materials, consumer, product, packaging), BOM’s and Safety by Design data, whilst ensuring products, raw materials, packaging and ingredients are harmonised wherever possible.
- Ensure all necessary trials are completed satisfactorily and documented, reference samples stored & risks communicated. Monitor costs of trials.
- Ensure product approval process is completed (including actions identified) and responsibility transferred to SU & QA.
- Ensure all products/prototypes used for consumer research are safe and representative.
- Generate accurate technical data.
- Take responsibility for self-development and exhibit PACE behaviours.
- R&D Leadership Team.
- R&D Product & Category etc. throughout Europe.
- R&D Culinary and Sensory, Packaging.
- Data Management.
- Marketing – central and local.
- Category Boards (CATs).
- Consumer Insights.
- Nomad Foods Europe factories.
- Sales & Retail customers.
- Quality & consumer complaints.
- Ingredients & processing suppliers.
Experience & knowledge
- Food raw material & process science.
- Product design & development.
- Understanding of consumer & customer requirements.
- Nutrition understanding.
- Innovation tools e.g. insight gathering, concept writing (basic understanding).
- Sensory & consumer testing – quality & quantity (basic knowledge/understanding).
- Project management.
- Financial awareness – working knowledge.
- Local & European Food Product & labeling regulations understanding (basic understanding).
- Experience with specification systems and origination, i.e. Interspec is an advantage.
- Recipe systems.
- Meeting consumer needs – know which attributes of products and packs are important for consumers and deliver projects to maintain and optimise them within commercial constraints.
- Creative Mindset – propose creative solutions to R&D challenges through good understanding of technical systems and business barriers, learning from previous experience in R&D.
- Project Management and Delivery – manage project resource and track progress against milestones, managing and mitigating risks on the way.
- Optimising technical delivery – manage all the project steps in an activity and provide technical input for gate documents, including technical risk management and any action plans required.
- Building and improving specifications – build product and/or pack specifications, write ingredient specifications and obtain approval from suppliers.
- Applying insight for competitive advantage – analyse, summarise and make recommendations for product development using consumer data Delivering R&D capability.
- Delivering Quality to the consumer and customer – create clear specifications and technical briefs to define the key elements of a product that ensure consumer and customer expectation for quality is met.
- Scientific Thinking – understand how to design and test a hypothesis, set up work to do this and be able to clearly communicate results, conclusions and reasoning.
- Relevant Science Degree – e.g., Food Technology, Food Science, Food Chemistry / similar or experience in FMCG product development.
- Proficient in English. German is an advantage, not essenential.
- Experience of working in pan-European teams is beneficial.
Be part of our team!
Nomad Foods Europe, a leading frozen foods company, produces & distributes products of the core brands iglo, Birds Eye, Findus, Lutosa and La Cocinera across Europe. Within the Group, the production site in Reken has expanded significantly and will set the future standards for the Nomad Foods Supply Chain.
We offer interesting tasks and development possibilities in an international and growing company.