Job Title: Innovation Project Manager
Engineering R&D (EngRD) is a global group that develops innovative process technologies, and that works with existing Cargill and customer facilities to improve their economic and environmental performance. It provides Cargill businesses and customers with novel products and services, distinctive value and growth opportunities. EngRD supports manufacturing activities around the world, and across the full breadth of Cargill, from new-to-the-world food ingredients, through complex bio-refineries processing of corn, wheat or soya, to industrial applications. Our core and emerging capabilities are Process Modelling, Process Development, and Project Management.
The incumbent of this position will have a lead role in project management, process technology development and transfer in multi-disciplinary project teams implementing new-product and new-process technologies and a role in developing and executing continuous improvement projects on behalf of Cargill business unit clients. Specific job responsibilities will vary with project assignments, but will include the accountabilities listed below.
50% Project Management
- Assure proper execution of multidisciplinary technology driven innovation projects through planning, resource allocation, milestone definition, and budget management following the Project Portfolio Management principles.
- Assure adequate resources are engaged to deliver technical success.
- Prepare detailed technical reports and presentations for the project team and the BU client.
20% Technology Delivery
- Technology development and technology transfer components of technology-driven projects, with emphasis on the transition from lab-scale demonstration to commercial startup of new-to-Cargill manufacturing technology.
- Provide technical support to business-case development, regulatory review, intellectual property assessment, engineering design/construction, and plant startup activities of the integrated project team.
- Apply existing systems and best practices for capturing innovation and protecting intellectual property from process technology advances.
20% Continuous improvement
- Work with broader Engineering R&D team to develop and execute CI projects and programs across Cargill using lean six sigma methodologies, tools and best practices.
- This includes identification of opportunity, application of structured continuous improvement processes and data analytics to determine root cause and capture value.
10% Safety and Environmental
- Promote safety awareness and adherence to Cargill safety policies for laboratory, piloting, tolling, engineering design and commercial startup activities.
- Take a proactive role in developing safety initiatives, programs, and training for project staff and contractors.
- Work to understand and promote environmental awareness and adherence to all regulations and standards.
- B.S. in Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Food Technology/Science, Biotechnology or closely related discipline.
- Minimum of 7 years professional engineering experience.
- Strong practical understanding of fundamental Chemical Engineering principles (material balances, transport phenomena, chemical kinetics) and experience in applying on innovative technology projects.
- Strong collaboration and influencing skills with a diverse array of both technical and non-technical people.
- Demonstrated experience in Project Management and supporting multidisciplinary project teams.
- Demonstrated experience supporting the commercialization of innovative manufacturing process technologies.
- Demonstrated experience with Intellectual Property management.
- Demonstrated experience in decision making and conflict resolution.
- Experience in facilitation of Continuous Improvement events or workshops.
- Experience leading Lean Sigma and/or other continuous improvement programs or initiatives.
- Experience in application of Design of Experiment and Measurement Systems Analysis fundamentals.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Willingness to travel.
- Fluent in English.
- M.S. in Chemical Engineering, Chemistry or closely related discipline.
- Extensive interactions with Plant Operations or Plant Engineering environment.
- Experience supporting business case development.
- Experience with staff development.
- Experience with food/feed/bio-chemical/fermentation technologies and manufacturing processes.
- Prior involvement in environmental, health, and/or safety initiatives.
- Familiarity with Gate Review and Capital Approval processes.
- Formal training in project management skills.
- Lean Six Sigma Cargill Certified Black Belt or Black Belt Candidate OR Green Belt with successful application to multiple Continuous Improvement Projects.
- Fluent in a second language is an advantage (French, Dutch, German, Spanish,..).
In return for your expertise and commitment, we will provide a fast paced stimulating international environment, which will stretch your abilities and channel your talents. We also offer competitive salary and benefits combined with outstanding career development opportunities in one of the largest and most solid private companies in the world.
Working at Cargill is an opportunity to thrive—a place to develop your career to the fullest while engaging in meaningful work that makes a positive impact around the globe. You will be proud to work for a company with a strong history of ethics and a purpose of nourishing people. We offer a diverse, supportive environment where you will grow personally and professionally as you learn from some of the most talented people in your field. With 150 years of experience Cargill provides food, agriculture, financial and industrial products and services to the world. We have 155,000 employees in 68 countries who are committed to feeding the world in a responsible way, reducing environmental impact and improving the communities where we live and work.