Job Title: EHS Manager
Cargill provides food, agriculture, financial and industrial products and services to the world. Together with farmers, customers, governments and communities, we help people thrive by applying our insights and over 150 years of experience. We have 155,000 employees in 70 countries who are committed to feeding the world in a responsible way, reducing environmental impact and improving the communities where we live and work.
Position Purpose & Summary
Responsible for the effective implementation, maintenance and review of Environment, Health and Safety (EHS) programs to ensure compliance with both, legal and company EHS requirements.
The person in this role is responsible to carry out risk assessments, (self) mini-audits, communicate/investigate and report incidents and create and follow up action plans to eliminate or minimize the identified risks or findings. She/He provides EHS training and advice to employees at all levels in the location, establish and provides procedures for safe systems of work in line with Cargill requirements (LIFESavers, Critical Tasks, PJHA, permit to work, etc.). She/He must work close with plant manager and other supervisors and support them in the identification of site’s EHS priorities and programmes.
50% EHS Practices and procedures
- Ensure implementation and compliance with statutory (legal) and company/corporate EHS requirements; maintain awareness of current and future EHS developments and legal requirements and; execute on operating permit condition expectations; Ensure transport, storage use and disposal of all materials is in accordance with statutory requirements.
- Execute the business EHS Year Plan (OGSM’s);
- Lead, spread and keep alive SafeStart and HOP principles;
- Carry out regular EHS (self)mini-audits in all areas and ensure any corrective actions recommended are implemented; apply learnings from shared audit reports;
- Keep company’s EHS policies and procedures updated (including input to operations S&OP’s);
- Carry out site risk assessment and SIF assessment and assist in implementing appropriate control measures for the identified risks;
- Implement a Near Miss program;
- Investigate incidents and near misses by performing adequate 5 why’s/RCA’s; develop corrective actions and track progress; apply learnings from shared accidents;
- Consolidate and report site’s data analysis of accidents, near misses, observations and communicate action plan to employees at all levels;
- Perform LIFESavers field checks and BBS observations;
- Implement, evaluate and complete quality assessments in permit to work and PJHA’s
- Leading or member of site safety committee
20% EHS Training
- Lead site’s safety induction;
- Ensure relevant licences/certifications (eg Fork Lift Trick, 1st Aid at work) are obtained and that conditions are adhered to; review which cases may need an occupational assessment and implement it;
- Training program of critical processes (PJHA, LifeSavers, applicable Critical Tasks, etc.);
- Assist with the identification of EHS training needs and develop and deliver EHS training programmes as appropriate;
- Create and keep up to date training matrix and follow up on EHS training.
10% Occupational Health
- Control and co-ordinate all health and safety data sheets to ensure all substances are controlled in accordance with requirements;
- Ensure all areas have current copies of MSDS sheets and necessary information for emergency response;
- Ensure all personnel using such substances are aware of the hazards practices and procedures associated with their use and have received the necessary training
- Complete substance Task based risk assessment
- Noise monitoring;
- Hazardous substances monitoring;
- Review which occupational health assessments are applicable to the site and implement it.
10% Team building and key relationships
- Establish close links with line managers guiding them to produce operating procedures to effective risk assessment and aid in identifying priorities and programmes, and to continuously develop a positive EHS Culture;
- Support and Liaise with Engineering/Maintenance Department adequate training and support on contractor’s management and PJHA requirements. Also, assist with the management of contractor related activities during normal operations and project/construction activities.
- Manage and ensure compliance with Contractor Management procedures;
5% EHS Non-operational activities
- Implement office EHS requirements to non-ops function in the location.
5% Waste Management
- Ensure site has an adequate site waste management programme and ensure practices on site complies with legislation and corporate standards.
- University degree in Environmental, Health & Safety or relevant business degree in engineering / food science / agriculture
- Recognised EHS certification (NEBOSH, IOSH, ARBO, etc.)
- At least 5 years relevant work experience business degree in Environmental or Health & Safety, Food, Chemical
- Dutch & English
- Ability to lead, influence without authority and building trust
- Be able to communicate effectively through all levels of the organisation
- Be energetic, ambitious, enthusiastic, have a flexible and positive attitude
- Be able to work independently with minimum supervision
- Good priority setting skills and the ability to work with a diverse population
- Hands-on support to plant manager on the EHS field
- Audit / Compliance / Risk Management with respect to Cargill Policies & Standards
- High-level and demonstrable expertise with a wealth of experience in Environmental Health and Safety including environmental permits. Stays up-to-date and ensures compliance with regulatory requirements related to food and feed local production and export.
- Customer Specifications Management – Interfaces effectively with internal customers
- Process and Improvement Management
- Plant/Manufacturing Excellence by demonstrating practical knowledge of farm safety, manufacturing processes and operations
- Training skills in order to deliver intermediate learning solutions
- Business Acumen: Applies deep and practical business acumen to partner effectively with business.
- Document Management to meet all regulatory compliance requirements
- Applies scientific knowledge, principles to identify and manage risks based on risk assessment, conducts and communicates the results of a scientific evaluation of the known or potential adverse health effects resulting from human or animal exposure to food borne hazards.
- Analytical and driven to propose solutions, interpret results and communicating plan to employees at all levels
- Autonomous, Precise, Accurate and Reliable
- Flexible approach combined with good priority setting skills and working with people from a range of backgrounds
Working at Cargill is an opportunity to thrive—a place to develop your career to the fullest while engaging in meaningful work that makes a positive impact around the globe. You will be proud to work for a company with a strong history of ethics and a purpose of nourishing people. We offer a diverse, supportive environment where you will grow personally and professionally as you learn from some of the most talented people in your field. With 150 years of experience Cargill provides food, agriculture, financial and industrial products and services to the world. We have 155,000 employees in 68 countries who are committed to feeding the world in a responsible way, reducing environmental impact and improving the communities where we live and work.