grapefruteglobe Kerry Group
Job Title: R&D Application Technologist Meat Systems m/f
Key Technologies within Meat Functional System are:
Meat Coating Systems
Meat Functional Systems
Meat Taste Systems
The Meat Food Systems team work with leading food producers across Europe to develop trusted, nutritious and great tasting food concepts. Leading to better products in line with consumer trends through delivering more nutritious products including Free From, Better for You, Good for You and Tailored for You.
Kerry’s products are developed to reflect real food and to capture the authentic taste, aroma and visual appeal loved by consumers.
Kerry’s food safety and performance systems in meat give customers an advantage in the marketplace by enabling them to deliver cost-effective taste solutions to their consumers.
Kerry systems are a critical factor in imparting texture, taste, visual, improving yields and adding back nutrients that are lost through the processing and cooking process.
Kerry products include:
• Marinades, rubs and glazes
• Meat and savoury seasonings for a wide variety savoury end products
• Meat Free Systems
• Rusk and binder systems
• Gels and emulsification systems
• Cures & Brines
• Breadcrumbs including specialty crumbs
• Flour breaders
• Predusts and Intermediates
You will be responsible for the development of Meat Functional Systems Meat Seasonings, Marinades, Rubs & Glazes and Coatings for the UK & Irish marketplace. Working in partnership with our customers to develop innovative concepts as well as renovating current products. The RD&A team collaborates with the regional Sales team, a global network of chefs, marketing and sensory experts to deliver products to market within launch timescales. In this role will be Reporting to senior Technologist, products concepts are tailored to customer specific needs.
All development work will deliver in terms of Taste, Functionality and Nutrition.
Your Key Responsibilities:
• Develop innovative solutions to help grow customer and Kerry’s market within cost parameters, manufacturing capability whilst ensuring all new products are legal within country of use.
• Create value added products with a point of difference from our competitors continuing to lead in the market through manufacture process and ingredient knowledge.
• Project managing work load and reporting progress in a timely fashion, by attending meetings and supporting the R&D manager.
• Build relationships with key personnel within allocated accounts via visits, presentations and attending trials in customer factory when required.
• Ensures that ingredient functionality will meet customer expectations. Oversees projects from customer or internal brief through to hand over to production at factory stage.
• Develops food system formulations and related applications stability performance through demonstrated understanding of food formulation and chemical interactions. Conducting tests on developments and presenting where necessary.
• Provide our customers with the best available products through developing an understanding the market, manufacturing capabilities, ingredient restrictions etc.
• Working in partnership with customers and the Kerry cross functional team to deliver products from concept through to launch, in the time frames agreed with customers.
• Coordinating launches of new products & running trials at Kerry manufacturing sites.
• Reporting back on customer visits via business agreed tools.
• Maintain awareness of developments across Kerry and building these into new developments providing USP’s for customers. Ensure Kerry Taste and Nutrition is at the heart of all concept development
• Carry out competitor & product awareness analysis – including sensory product evaluations and carrying out own retail reviews as required. Keeping up to date on best practice and competitor benchmarking on product development to ensure Kerry’s leadership position. Identifies and shares best practices to increase innovation and ensure compliance.
• Adhere to department rules on hygiene and general housekeeping. Ensuring the work area is hygienic and fit for the development of food products.
• Make use of experience around the Technical Centre & other Kerry sites where relevant to ensure best results are achieved.
• Undertake any training as agreed and directed by the Company.
• limited travel within UK & Ireland may be required.
• Assists sales in customer visits and full execution product presentations from brief to presentation.
• Maintains lab consumables, equipment and ingredients in safe and hygienic storage. Adheres to good laboratory practices and lab protocols. Records documentation and methodology into appropriate database.
• Oversees preparation and shipment of R&D sample requests keeping customer informed of delivery times and updates.
• Project manage workload whilst keeping all key stakeholders fully updated.
• As a RD&A Technologist the role means plenty of customer contact, you will need to work well with a cross functional team and build strong relationships with customers, providing excellent service in terms of concept development, sample delivery, product presentations and process support.
• Work closely with Account Managers and fellow technologists to develop an understanding of the market and customer needs to develop market suitable product concepts within specific parameters identified by the customer.
• Ensure that products developed are cost competitive and commercially viable.
• Combine food values and science to create products aligned with Taste and Nutrition market positioning.
• Provide updates to the R&D leadership team about the progress and current results of the research program to ensure the involved persons are up to date with projects.
• Ensure you are kept well-informed on the changes and developments related to Research & Development and that your knowledge is up-to-date within the context of new developments/legislation changes etc…
• Excellent oral, written communication and ICT skills, with ability to present technical findings.
• Ability to manage and develop projects.
• Time keeping and work load management.
• Self-Starter and ability to work on own initiative.
Your qualifications and experience:
• Food Science Degree / Masters.
• Ideally, 1-3 years working in a NPD environment (demonstrates creativity, practical skills & enjoyment of food).
• Previous experience within the meat or ingredients industry from either a competitor or a Customer. Specifically in Functional systems such as seasonings & functional ingredients.
• Experience in FMCG business is desirable.
• Commercial awareness of food manufacturing operations.
• Laboratory, pilot plant and factory experience.
Our 40+ years of taste expertise, global knowledge of the meat industry and leading-edge market insights combine to create the best eating experiences for consumers around the world.
Leveraging our technical expertise, we are at the forefront of meat innovation, using our portfolio to deliver for our customers’ products, the complete taste and nutrition experience.
We consistently tick all of the boxes of our customers’ meat demands – boxes that are decided on by rapidly changing consumer tastes and that are focused around flavour, texture, aroma and visual appeal – without ever compromising on taste and nutrition, food safety or quality.
Our food safety and performance systems in meat give our customers an advantage in the marketplace by enabling them to deliver cost-effective taste solutions to their consumers.
Our systems are the critical factor in imparting texture, improving yields and binding together nutrients that are lost through the processing and cooking process.