grapefruteglobe Nomad Foods Group
Job Title: R&D Assistant Product Development Manager m/f
The UK R&D Assistant Product Development manager is a significant role in the organisation which requires experience in product development, consumer understanding and technical project management to implement the agreed program.
The UK R&D Assistant Product Development Manager will work with the central R&D teams (Fish, Vegs, Meals, Pack, Nutrition…), understand the overall R&D programs, support the implementation of centrally-developed projects and manage additional local projects (innovation, renovation & productivity) where applicable. The role requires the ability to “self-start”, formulate development plans and work independently as well as collaborate with Central R&D and external expert resources when required. Working within a local business team to deliver projects on time whilst championing R&D best practices is a key element of the role.
This will be done by leading and managing the timely understanding and adoption across the business for the accurate, efficient and orderly information management of all Policy, Codes of Practice and Specifications Systems Processes in connection with regulatory, product & packaging development, food safety, nutritional and forever food programmes.
- To work with the Birds Eye Marketing Team in delivering local led innovation projects and to manage the technical implementation of these projects.
- To work with the Birds Eye Marketing team in delivering the local activation programs, and to manage the technical implementation of these projects.
- Represent the requirements of the UK business through considered input to all central/European charters for which the UK has an interest in launching the products. This will be achieved through timely collaboration with the R&D category teams.
- To ensure that all category and local innovation and activation projects meet Nomad Foods Europe requirements with regard to Safety, Quality, Nutrition, Risk Assessment and CSR (Forever Food) Programmes.
- To be responsible for the provision and implementation of accurate and legal mandatory data for UK artworks through the provision of local on-pack consumer information and Artwork Approval Processes.
- Maintain and develop knowledge of local regulations and trade requirements, collaborate with Nomad experts when needed.
- Support the Consumer Services Teams through the timely provision of technical information.
- Maintain a constant awareness of competitor activity, regularly review competitor products/ packaging & propose routes for maintaining competitiveness in the market.
Key Performance Indicators (KPI’s)
- Compliance with Nomad Foods Europe (NFE) Policy and Codes of Practice for Specification Structure, Status.
- Compliance with defined processes and systems.
- Timely provision of artwork information and subsequent artwork approval.
- Right 1st time for local projects (timing, cost, quality).
Knowledge & Skills
- Technical expertise on writing food ingredient and final product specifications.
- Technical expertise on legal requirements for on pack information.
- Technical expertise on legal requirements for Ingredient & final products.
- Technical expertise on specification systems.
- Basic knowledge of EU food law & labelling regulations (training provided.
- Basic appreciation of packaging would be beneficial.
- R&D Systems & Processes.
- Product development best practice.
- Project management.
- Food raw material & process understanding.
- Sensory science & methodologies understanding
- Nutrition-led product design
- Local language skills (covering any regulatory and artwork languages that apply)
- Good communication skills, able to influence in English (written and verbal)
- Commercial & Financial awareness
Building knowledge to win
- Participate in consumer connect activity and understand the relationship between consumer needs, brand values and the role of product and pack
- Benchmark versus competitors and develop programs to deliver competitive advantage in product, pack, value and claims.
- Confident working with and communicating business data and understand how each category is performing and how the R&D pipeline of activities will deliver the strategy.
- Propose creative solutions to R&D challenges through a good understanding of technical, systems and business barriers to progress, learning from previous experiences in R&D.
Developing successful innovations
- Drive excellence in execution in projects and propose improvements when appropriate, challenging and coaching others to do so too
- Actively seek roll out opportunities from an understanding of the current portfolio.
Delivering our portfolio
- Use all aspects of benchmarking against a competitive set, including the suppliers and the technologies used, to recommend how to optimise taste, product and pack.
- Build product and/or pack specifications, write ingredient specifications and obtain approval from suppliers
- Keep up to date with legal developments and new regulations and actively work to ensure compliance of work portfolio.
- Design and lead R&D trials over multiple technologies and/or factories and suppliers with clear output on trial conclusions and an understanding of optimal process settings and tolerances.
- Create clear specifications and technical briefs to define the key elements of a product that ensure consumer and customer expectation for Quality is met.
Qualifications & Experience
- Food Science & Technology degree.
- At least 3-5 years experience within food/drink industry (R&D / Quality).
- Experience of food manufacturing (GMP, Quality…) with factories and copackers.
- Understanding of the application of Policy and standards in relation to business governance.
- Regulatory & Nutrition knowledge.
- R&D Central Teams
- Local and Category (European) Marketing Teams
- Quality Team
- Supply Chain and Nomad factories
- Raw Material & Ingredients Suppliers
- Project Management Office
- Copackers & suppliers
- External opinion formers – Food, Nutrition, Scientific bodies, Regulatory bodies
- Retailers and Business partners
Nomad Foods is a leading frozen foods company. With our anchor investment in Iglo Group completed in June 2015, we intend to continue supporting Iglo’s organic growth initiatives as well as pursue strategic acquisitions to build a portfolio of best-in-class food companies and brands within existing and new categories. Iglo is the ideal foundation to execute a build-up strategy across the packaged foods sector.
Our Ambition for Nomad Foods:
- Build a world-class global consumer foods company
- Invest in leading food companies with proven track records and strong management teams
- Support organic growth and strengthen our market leadership in each of our geographies and categories
Our acquisition criteria:
- Market leader in a niche market
- Protective moats around the business
- Experienced management teams
- Strong free cash flow characteristics
- Diversified customer and supplier base