Senior Specialist Lab Automation Applied Breeding Technologies
At BASF Vegetable Seeds, it is our ambition to make healthy eating enjoyable and sustainable. Together and in collaboration with partners we are eager to improve our vegetable varieties and solutions for our customers, the vegetable value chain and consumers worldwide. To further develop and grow this ambition we are looking for a Senior Specialist Lab Automation Applied Breeding Technologies
Applied Breeding Technologies (ABT) develops and deploys a portfolio of Cell Biology and Molecular Breeding services (genotypes and plants) to support the BASF Vegetable Seeds R&D development, using the most relevant technologies, protocols and automation.
Your role and mission as Senior Specialist Lab Automation
As Senior Specialist Lab Automation you are responsible for translating business requirements into lab automation systems, scripting of methods and protocols. The Lab Automation team is also responsible for supporting and improving the automation processes in the research and High Throughput Laboratories of BASF Vegetable Seeds.
The third accountability is to drive further improvements of Lab Automation systems. You will work closely together with your Lab Automation team members, colleagues of ABT (Molecular Services, Cell Biology), other Lab Automation stakeholders (R&D, Operations, Quality Assurance), Technical Services and Industrial Automation as well as relevant BASF Vegetable Seeds stakeholders.
Your Tasks and Responsibilities as Senior Specialist Lab Automation
- Translate business requirements into lab automation solutions
- Interact with internal stakeholders and vendors in all engineering design phases, User Requirement Specification (URS), concept development, procurement, Factory Acceptance Test (FAT), Site Acceptance Test (SAT), commissioning and implementation
- Identify automated solutions that improve quality, reproducibility, throughput, and or decrease the cost of lab processes
- Develop and configure scripts, protocols and methods for laboratory automation systems
- Support user training, optimizing the workflows, and on-going support for the end-users
- Troubleshoot and solve problems related to laboratory automation (hardware and software), including contacts with internal experts and external companies
- Ensure compliance with safety standards as well as consulting on safety, occupational safety, machine safety and information security
- Acts as Subject Matter Expert (SME) for automation equipment and related software, and keep up with the latest trends and new technologies within the automation industry
- Work within project timelines and projects teams who interact with different stakeholders and departments
- Establish metrics related to automation system key performance indicators
- Monitor systems for uptime, issues, and improvements
- Bachelor’s degree in Molecular Biology, Genetics, Biochemistry or Chemical Engineering, Engineering or other relevant study.
- 5 years of professional experience in the field of application of laboratory automation, project and asset management or project planning in R&D
- Excellent hands-on experience with various integrated laboratory automation systems
- Demonstrated ability to analyze the output and data from automation equipment
- Basic understanding of breeding and research in agriculture
- Fluent communicator (both verbal and written) in English
Do you recognize yourself in the below competencies?
- Excellent understanding of lab automation processes
- Excellent technical and computer skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Analytical, methodical and creative approach to problem solving
- Work with a sense of accuracy and urgency
- Work cross-functionally
- Work with diverse personalities and cultures in an international organization
- Pioneering: courageously trying new things to win
- Empowering: enabling to take actions and make decisions
- Performing: focus on the right things and act fast
What’s in it for you?
Adding value to our customers begins with adding value to you. At BASF you have the opportunity to be part of a culture where we value the passion of our employees to innovate and give them the power to change. People are the key to our long-term success and that talent is in everyone.
We offer you a variable remuneration in addition to an attractive salary and excellent benefits like a good pension, collective health insurance, training opportunities, flexible and remote working etc.
Giving you the support that you need to be your best and fulfill your personal ambitions is what helps us achieving our ambitions. After all, our success is linked to yours. Whatever path you envision, BASF Vegetable Seeds is a great place to start building a rewarding, successful career.
Nunhems is specialized in breeding, production and sales of vegetable seeds in 24 crops worldwide. Employment at this BASF division means working for a fast-growing and ambitious company. We encourage individuals to excel in creativity and to show strong decision-making skills, team player mentality and entrepreneurial spirit.
About BASF Vegetable Seeds
BASF VS is one of the largest vegetable seed companies in the world, with its Nunhems® brand. Under this brand, BASF VS offers specialized advice and 1,200 vegetable varieties in 24 crops to the professional horticulture and vegetable chain. The company is present in all major vegetable producing markets and has more than 2,000 employees worldwide.
More than 600 employees work at the main location in Nunhem; in the laboratory to support the worldwide breeding activities, and in modern greenhouses and trial fields for the breeding programs of a.o. leek, cucumbers, spinach, tomatoes and carrot, as well as in the seed cleaning and processing activities and quality assurance. The high-quality seeds are exported to customers in over 100 countries.
Interested in this job?
Are you curious about the job, and do you want to know more about why it’s so great or what are the biggest challenges in your role? If you have any questions about the position and procedure, please contact Grapefrute, +31 475 770 777.
Are you interested in learning more about the trends and innovations in the industries we work for, check our blogs to be completely up to date, or follow us on Linkedin, Twitter, Facebook & Instagram!
Interested in this job? Click the apply button now! Grapefrute works directly with the hiring managers for our posted jobs, and is the fastest way to get results.